Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hawaiian BBQ and Wheat Intolerance :(



Hi everyone!

Phil posting today.  Here's some photos of our most recent social event at Casa De Harms in Colorado.  Darbi's friends from work came over and we had a ball making our Hawaiian BBQ from scratch!


Much to our chagrin, however, we discovered that I, Phil, has an intolerance to wheat, in addition (we think) to my dairy allergy.  So, basically, I can eat meat and vegetables.  Looks like I'm on the "All-Kebab" diet!  Woohoo!  

But seriously, we're trying out an elimination diet to find out if it helps me with my intestinal issues by eliminating just wheat and dairy for one month.  If it completely heals my intestines, GREAT!  However, if after the month I am still experiencing the cramping, etc. from my allergy, we will move to a simple blood test to see if I have Celiac's Disease (Gluten intolerance).  If that is the case, there will need to be some MAJOR changes in our eating out habits, as well as food purchasing here on the homefront, as this disease can lead to internal bleeding in extreme cases.  But, of course, we covet your prayers for the elimination of wheat to solve the issue (especially because I have recently developed a penchant for Guinness, and Irish Stouts in general, which are Barley-based.  A person with wheat intolerance can drink these without issues, but a person with Celiac's must steer clear).

More updates later.  Lots going on around our house these days!

Philip and Darbi

1 comment:

Linda Kinney said...

Phil, Some people with dairy intolerance do well with Greek yogurt. That was one thing I really missed from my years living there. Now it is in almost every US grocery store. It is called FAGE, which means "eat" in Greek. Love, Aunt Linda